Congratulations on purchasing your first home! The first year in a new house is full of unforgettable experiences and surprises, but many homeowners are particularly surprised by the long list of maintenance tasks that accompany homeownership. Previously, these chores would have been handled by a landlord or the maintenance staff, and now your left to conquer them on your own.
Regular maintenance is the only way to keep the home’s structure and systems in top shape for years to come. This is especially true with the plumbing system, as one simple clog could lead to a major disaster and an expensive repair. Here are a few essential tips from a plumber in Las Vegas, NV that every first-time homeowner needs to know:
- Start with an inspection: Start off your life in your new home on the right foot with a plumbing inspection. During the inspection, the plumber will identify any issues and recommend whether they need to be immediately addressed or if a replacement is necessary. This also gives you more time to budget for upcoming repairs, instead of being unexpectedly hit by a very expensive emergency.
- Learn how to shut off the water main: Seconds matter when the sink is flooding water. That’s why it’s important to know where the shutoff valve is located and how to use it. Usually, the valve is in the basement or crawl space below the house. Simply switch the valve off to halt the flow of water throughout the entire house before calling for a plumber in Las Vegas, NV.
- Master the plunger: Don’t be defeated by a clogged drain, sink or toilet. Learn to use a plunger effectively now, instead of struggling with it when soap, hair, food or other debris clog the drains. Practice using the plunger a few times before storing it away in an easily accessible location.
- Take seasonal precautions: The water inside of a pipe can freeze and expand once the temperatures drop below freezing. This can cause the pipe to burst, which is very expensive to repair. The frozen pipes can crack unnoticed, only to leak water once they defrost. Avoid this nightmare by covering outdoor pipes in cold conditions. Remember to replace the pipe insulation at least once a year.
- Find a reliable plumber in Las Vegas, NV before you ever need one: Unfortunately, many homeowners have no choice but to use the first plumber available when the basement floods in the middle of the night. They’re then stuck with expensive emergency fees and often low-quality work. This can be avoided by finding a reliable plumber before they’re ever actually needed. You’ll have the peace of mind that comes with knowing affordable, high-quality work from a reliable plumber is only a phone call away.
Both first time and long-term homeowners need the help of a professional plumber they can trust, like Orchard Plumbing. Our family-owned and operated business offers both residential and commercial plumbing services at very reasonable prices. Call us today to schedule an inspection!