Dealing with a clogged drain can be a real pain, especially if the clog is big enough to put your sink or shower out of commission. Instead of calling a plumber to come out and clear your drain each time it gets clogged, some simple at-home remedies could help address the situation. Keep reading to learn about a few of these green drain cleaners in Las Vegas, NV:
- Wire coat hanger: If the clog is caused by strands of hair or other larger debris, you might be able to fish it out with a straightened coat hanger. Be advised that whatever you find down there won’t be pleasant to look at or smell! After you fish out as much of the clog as possible, rinse out the drain with hot water.
- Dish soap and boiling water: Grease clogs are common in kitchen sinks, especially if you’re careless and dump your leftovers down the drain on a regular basis. You can quickly clear out all of that nasty grease by boiling two liters of water and mixing it with a few tablespoons of liquid dish soap. Pour this mixture down your clogged drain, and that should clear it out.
- Baking soda and vinegar: A half-cup of baking soda mixed with a half-cup of vinegar does more than create a fun volcano for your kid’s elementary school science fair. When combined in your drain, the fizzing reaction can help with unclogging drains in Las Vegas, NV. Pour boiling water down the drain once the mixture has settled to ensure the clog is gone.
- Baking soda and salt: If the mixture above doesn’t work, head back to the pantry and grab a half-cup of baking soda and a half-cup of salt. Let this mixture sit in your drain for at least 30 minutes, then pour a pot of boiling water down the drain. It’s important to note that the tougher the clog, the longer you should let the mixture sit before adding the boiling water.
Avoid clogged drains
The good news is that unclogging drains in Las Vegas, NV doesn’t have to be part of your everyday routine. Follow the advice below and you may never have to clear your drains out again:
- Watch what goes down the drain: As we mentioned above, grease buildup from putting leftovers down the kitchen sink is all too common. Be sure to put all large food scraps in the trash can, and you can avoid a ton of clogs in your kitchen sink.
- Clear out your drains: It’s not a bad idea to make a habit of pouring boiling water down your drains each month. This step only takes a couple minutes and can do wonders to clear out the small pieces of debris that eventually cause a big clog.
- Use a hair trap: Stray hairs slipping down the bathroom sink and shower drain is common. Unfortunately, even the shortest hairs can build up and cause massive clogs down the road. You can prevent that by purchasing hair traps and covering all of your sink and shower drains.
Whether you have a plumbing problem at your home or office, Orchard Plumbing is your best bet for fixing the issue! We’re available around the clock to address plumbing emergencies, and we use green drain cleaners in Las Vegas, NV to help protect the environment.